Thursday, January 5, 2012

Little Changes make a HUGE difference in the long run!

I have written several blogs and Facebook posts about how I have reached my goals. One of the BIGGEST factors has been making little changes at a time, rather than setting LARGE, "I'm going to cut out all junk food and eat nothing but raw, whole foods!" goals. When I began my clean eating journey, I tackled one meal at a time, and waited for it to become second nature before moving to the next. I also made small goals like decreasing my Starbucks latte habit from one a day to two a week. Once I concurred that, I decided to start ordering drip coffee with cream and sugar to decrease the empty calories and chemicals I was consuming. Another little change was replacing my Dannon Light yogurt, with Choboni Greek yogurt, replacing peanut butter with natural (no added sugars and preservatives) peanut butter, and finally replacing peanut butter with all natural almond butter.

I have a very addictive personality (as many do). If I would have approached these goals by going from, Nutella and honey peanut butter to all natural almond butter, or Dannon sweetened yogurts to plain Greek yogurts, I would have failed. Yuck!! No way!! I needed this time to transition and learn to like "real" foods and not processed "addictive" foods. And, I do!! I love "real" foods!! I never thought I'd be here! NO REALLY!! NEVER thought I'd be here. Those who know me well, know I am the kid who ate cake batter straight out of the bowl and could easily chase it down with frosting!! .... Holla!!

I still continue this strategy since it has proven to be so very successful! I have weened myself off of sugary cereals, weekend ice cream affairs, regular weekend heavy creamy coffee martinis, quick deli counter lunches, Lean Cuisines, frozen/boxed processed foods like mac-n-cheese, top roman, fish sticks, chicken patties, and even fast food!! This method is slow and life changing (I believe anything worth doing should be done right, not quick)

This month my "little changes" challenge consists of:





  • Reducing my AM Kashi cereal consumption to emergencys, by making egg white scrambles and oatmeal for breakfast. ** I will find evening time on Sunday or mid week to make a large oatmeal batch to grab and go in the mornings. I will also carve extra time in the AM to cook eggs (even if that means less coffee/Facebook time in the morning )**


  • Replace fruit preserves on my English muffin or wheat toast with all natural, unsweetened almond butter


  • No more ketchup on my morning eggs. (this one will be difficult....I'm a saucy kind of gal!)


  • Replace flavored/sweetened Greek yogurts with plain Greek yogurts and flavor with real fruit, and berries.


  • Research more ways to decrease my sugar consumption.


I know it seems like a long list, but they are small changes that are very doable and not at all over whelming for me to tackle.



So as you make your New Year goals, remember that Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will that healthy, lean body you desire. Break up you goals into manageable, attainable, and realistic goals and I promise you the best chance will you ever have at being successful long term!



HAPPY NEW YEAR!!



May 2012 be your year for health and happiness!





2 comments:

  1. Keep leading by example...we are listening...just trying to figure out how to apply it to our lives so it works for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie,
    you're quite the example yourself!! =]

    ReplyDelete