Tuesday, October 11, 2011

When sick, Take care!


Being sick this past week has really given me time to reflect on my fitness journey. Once upon a time, I would be very stressed about being out of the gym this long and what it would do to my waist line.

Truth is, my waist line has probably incurred a bit of a swell from all the comforts grilled cheese, soup, and ice cream has offered my throat and tummy. Why am I not stressed? Because I am healthy. I finally understand what it means to have a healthy relationship with myself and food. I know as I begin to feel better I will return to my healthier eating habits and workouts in the gym. Any swell my waist has incurred will subside before long. I feel no stress. No worry about gaining weight, no big rush to slam on a bag before my lungs are ready for a cardio workout. I could easily go to the gym tonight and knock out a light weight lifting session and go boxing (Ya'll know I really want to!), but I'll wait one more day and save the other gym goers the stress of listening to me cough, wondering if they will get it next. One more day to give my body ample time to recover from the virus it worked so hard to fight off.

So the next time you get sick, remember; your body knows best, so listen to what it is telling you. Just as a stomach flu may cause you to lose weigh, a flu or cold may put on a pound or two. No matter which category you fall under, your weight will return to normal when your eating and exercise get back to normal. Much to my dismay, I have never had long term weight loss success with a stomach flu. Just sayin'.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post! What a great reminder as we approach cold and flu season.

    ReplyDelete