Thursday, September 22, 2011


And so begins the
Fall season....

For many, this is the time we "fall" off our healthy living habits and indulge more. Cold weather sets in as our favorite TV shows return, and we become less active and crave all the fun comfort foods this season has to offer. Candy corn, Carmel apples, pumpkin spice lattes...before we know it we're five pounds heavier, and can't fit into our favorite jeans and sweaters without the extra muffin top appearing ("Hey, where did that come from??")

Fall is my favorite season! Over the years I have found healthier ways to enjoy the comforts of Fall without killing all of my hard work. I still indulge once in a while, but not nearly like I use to. Here are some healthier ways I enjoy the season without packing on the pounds:

**I love Fall scented candles! I buy a few each year! The smells are so comforting and create a relaxing environment!

**World market sells lots of fun pumpkin goodies! With lotions, soaps, and decor, it is my favorite place to shop! I love their All Natural Pumpkin Pasta Sauce paired with a wheat penne and a pear salad for a Fall inspired lunch!

**Pumpkin butter is great on whole wheat English muffins! You can find some at World Market, or Trader Joe's.

**I love an occasional pumpkin spice latte, but for a regular Fall treat, try a coffee with creamer and some pumpkin spice from the spice rack! (I am sipping on one right now!) I love the Coffee Mate's "Natural Bliss" creamers! Sometime I use the regular vanilla caramel as well and they still has way less sugar than the pumpkin spice latte (49 g of sugar in a 16 oz latte, compared to 5 g in a drip with creamer and spice)!


** Don't forget to stay active! Fall is a perfect season for nature walks, running, hiking, biking, raking, corn mazes, and exploring the great outdoors!

**Adding pumpkin puree, chopped apples, raisins, pecans, and Cinnamon or pumpkin spice to steel cut oats, or oatmeal is a super yummy and healthy way to celebrate the season!




**Sweet potatoes are deemed the healthiest vegetable!!! Add a little plain Greek yogurt and Cinnamon and you have a healthy Fall snack!


** Wet weather is a great time for indoor skating, rock climbing, GROUP FITNESS CLASSES (What?? You knew I had to fit that in somewhere), dance lessons, boxing , self defense classes, or even pick up weight lifting as a hobby (muscle mass raises metabolism and makes it easier to fight holiday pounds)! Don't let a rainy stop ya from staying active!!

Make it your goal to approach every Fall activity or indulgence with a mindful eye on your healthy lifestyle. The first year can be tough breaking those habits of daily pumpkin spice lattes, and a steady supplies of candy corn and pumpkin bread...but as the years pass, I am still amazed at how easy it has become as a result of consciously making that effort. I have created new traditions and habits that support my healthy living goals and allow me to still enjoy the comforts of Fall foods and activities!!





No comments:

Post a Comment