Tuesday, November 6, 2012

BUT ‘THEY’ TOLD ME FAT WAS BAD!!




Each decade has its own diet fad that leaves it’s footprint on our beliefs and relationships with food.  Low fat, low carbs, low calories, all fruit, no fruit, no sugar, Atkins, South Beach, and now the sacred Paleo.....
I remember back in the mid 90’s watching Oprah and being introduced to Bob Green! Watching Oprah’s transformation was inspiring and I was ready to jump on board!! She had a Spring Challenge show that inspired me to begin my journey. I knew very little about weight loss. I knew I needed to exercise, and watch my calories, but what were the rules to being successful? I was on board and ready to be educated…..or so I though.

As with any eager dieter, I was ready to hear, what I was ready to hear! Hard facts…. The formula…. Give me the cheat sheet please! And they did…at least that’s what I heard .

The magic formula was in the numbers! 1200 calories and 20 grams of fat! WaLa!! There it was! I could do this. Just count!

Fat!!
Fat was the dirty little secret that kept us all fat in the 90’s!

Eat fat = Get fat!
Eat non-fat or fat free = get skinny

Cool! Simple, concise rules to follow!

 Even though the 90’s have long passed, “Fat is bad!” still echoes in our rule books. Even in the 90’s I questioned this authoritative rule (even though I followed it religiously).  Really? Fat is bad? I can see the fat in ice cream, cookies, or mac-n-cheese, but even nuts, avocado, salmon, and healthy oils?? Yup!! Eat very sparingly, they told me….. Logic told me that was quacky advice since these foods were put here by nature to sustain us. But, what did I know? They  were the experts! 

Oh the trust we put in others while ignoring our own common sense and wisdom!..... 


No comments:

Post a Comment