Thursday, November 15, 2012

INSTRUCTOR'S LOG:Give the class you hate another chance....YOU MIGHT FIND YOU LOVE IT!

Do you love group fitness? Have you ever taken a class you just hated?! Did you go back?

 I love step!!! Really!! LOVE STEP!! LOVE Choreography!! LOVE lots of combos strung together!! I will never teach it, but I love to take it.


Step seems to be dying in my area. It's really hard to find evening classes to go to.  Last Fall I tried a new step class. I HATED IT!! The instructor called everything by different names, break downs were frustrating and not nearly long enough for me to get. As an instructor myself, I HATED standing next to my step looking like a lost pup in the woods!! I swore I'd NEVER go back!! (Note all the caps here. I was passionate about hating this class)

I have only taken a handful of step classes since (from other instructors). I still LOVE step, but as an instructor with a full time day job and family, plus classes of my own to teach, I rarely have time to take a class.

Tonight was Hot yoga night. I love hot yoga, but tonight I was hyper and needed to play! STEP!!! I searched for a class at all the clubs! I would have paid at a club I don't belong to just to take a step class. The only class on any surrounding area schedule was.....you guessed it... The one I swore I'd NEVER go back to. Crap!!! What to do?? I swallowed my pride and went....knowing I'd HATE it and would probably stand there again  trying to figure the moves.....
I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking back, I'm pretty sure I hated the class because I was having an off night. Yes, it is a tough class. But this time it clicked..I got it, and had a blast.

As an instructor, I urge you to go back to those classes you hated.  Sometimes the ones you hate the most, turn out too be the most challenging and most rewarding.

Now I know not every class is for every person. I'm not a personal fan of Zumba, or Cycle, but I have been several times just to be sure. You just never know the fun you might be missing out in if you don't give it more than one chance. =]  

No comments:

Post a Comment