Monday, July 11, 2016

Day 1: Back on track

I'm 46, hormonal, and achy. I feel like shit. My hormones are lagging. I have lots of inflammation. My osteoarthritis in my knees are flared up. My muscle mass is down and fat % up. I'm not fat (though my clothes are tight). I feel okay aesthetically in my skin, but I have looked better for sure!! 

I saw my doctor last week. Thank God I have her! She is a holistic doctor, not the type to throw 10 new medications my way, give me a cortisone shot for my knee, and put me on the pill for my hormones.  Nope! She asked me about my diet. We talked about alcohol, sugar, processed foods, and supplementation. 

I admit, my habits have changed over the past year and I am paying for it now. It happens. It's part of being human, so I don't hate myself, or beat myself up over it.  But change is necessary if I am to have the life I want and feel amazing and full of energy. 

So, what am I going to do about it? I have all the knowledge I need to get back on track (perks of my profession) and I am taking anyone who wants to follow, along for the ride. 




#1. No alcohol for 30 days. After 30 days, I will continue to practice better habits. A nightly glass or two of wine with dinner sounds harmless, right?...... Contrary to all those social media memes and magazine "studies", while wine does have heart healthy  antioxidants (which you can also find in other foods) it can wreck your hormones and adrenals.  My hubbs is joining me on this one, which I love! I am truly lucky to have such a supportive love, friend and life partner! 





#2. I BOUGHT A SCALE!! I will add 2 pounds of veggies to my daily diet. I will also up my fruit/berry intake. 






#3.  Whole foods (organic when possible)! Fresh fruit, veggies, nuts, seeds, wild fish, chicken and occasional grass fed bison. *Limit processed foods. This includes when eating out as well.




 #4. Fitness every day. Whether it's 20 minutes of yoga, or and all out HIIT, weight lifting, or steady state cardio, I will do something each day.  I will tell you this one will be the hardest for me right now. Usually for me, the opposite would be true, but did you know that my above behaviors have taken away those hormones that feed your drive and motivation  to move???   Yup!! True story. 

FOOD IS WHAT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL
 STRONG, VIBRANT, AND HEALTHY, 
OR TIRED, SICK, AND ACHY. 

Gonna try to blog daily to check in and share how it's going, (struggles and triumphs).  If anyone wants to jump in with me, I'd love the comradery! Please note, I am doing this for the health and well being of my mind, body, hormones, and knees. This is not a weight loss goal. That said, I would expect to lean out in the process. 

 So, there it is and here I go.









No comments:

Post a Comment