Thursday, August 18, 2011

Choosing a Trainer

Like choosing any type of service, there are good ones and bad ones. I've had 4 total. Two were bad, two were great! In sharing my experiences, I want to express the importance of knowing good form and technique while exercising. Many injuries can occur without this knowledge. I highly recommend finding a good trainer to help pave the road for a healthy, safe program to fit your needs. If you cannot afford one, group fitness classes are a great place to learn proper form and technique as well, that can be carried onto the weight floor. That said, by request, I will share my experiences with you and things to look for in a trainer.

Here were my first trainers....

THE OVERZEALOUS CHEERLEADER:

My first trainer pushed me beyond my limits. I was an overweight beginner on a 45 degree decline bench doing a sit up with a 10 lb. medicine ball toss. On my 12th rep I locked up mid way, felt a strain on my ab and asked my trainer for help. He verbally cheered for me to finish that last rep and offered no spotting. I finished the rep and pulled an ab muscle in the process. That's when I learned how you use your core for every exercise you do! I was an overweight injured client on my first session and had to nix the idea of being on the weight floor. I couldn't even do a leg press without re-injury. Very disheartening for someone who was motivated to reach some goals. It was about 6 months before I was right again.

THE SLIMY SALES TRAINER:


After healing, I decided to try a different trainer, but was very apprehensive. I went in to talk to trainer who took my measurements, weight, and info and gave me a small, free, sample workout. It was okay, but again, I was very apprehensive about putting my money into this, so I oppted to wait. I took some weight classes in group fitness and was able to take what I learned in class and apply it to the weight floor. After a few months, a few lost pounds, and a pant size smaller, I decided I was ready to expand my knowledge with a trainer. Although still apprehensive, I talked to the trainer who last took my measurements. He was happy to reassess my weight and messurements and informed me that while I lost weight, I had gained inches. "Whaaaat??? But I'm a size down!!!" I argued. He showed me on the tape measure how I had added a few inches and stressed the importance of signing up today because his sales promotion was ending at 5pm that evening. That slimy &*%@ was trying to play on my emotions, stating I had gained inches because I didn't know what I was doing without the knowledge of a trainer with his expertise.

THE KNOWLEDGEABLE /FUN TRAINER!


A year had passed and I was chugging along on my own and doing great! Got myself certified to teach my all time passion, kickbox...(thank you Billy Blanks and all the instructors that fueled that passion). One day I was on the weight floor and spotted this awesome trainer (Jeff) with a client! He was giving her a workout that included some mit work, and weight lifting. He was totally into it. I had to have him!! I got to train with him twice before he left to persue his career as a fire fighter. He was awesome! Educated, and knew how to put together a well rounded workout that could hold the intrest of his client and make them want to come back! No slimy sales tactic needed here!! I was so sad to see him go! I later got to play with another trainer (Chuck) of the same caliber and learn the TRX system! He also moved on to bigger and better, but I was lucky to fit in a workout or 2 with him before he left!

I no longer really need a trainer. But I closely watch the trainers in my clubs to see which ones I would recommend to my club members. Here is what I look for in a trainer:



** listens and creates a safe, effective workout that meets the needs and holds the interest of
their client causing them to be excited about their next session.

** Attentive and present! If a trainer is gazing out at the sea of people on the weight floor while counting out your reps, or worse texting (don't laugh, Ive seen it happen), or checking out the hottie doing squats....Don't bother! He/She wants your $$ and doesn't care about your goals.

** Encouraging and Motivating! Mindfully pushes you past what you thought you could do. Challenges you to improve while boosting your confidence.

** Spotting when needed and correcting form, both physically and verbally. Giving repetitive cues to create second nature form.

** Shows intrest in your personal life, (stresses, struggles, and accomplishments) and gives tips to reach goals outside of the gym as well.

** Offers a balanced workout that includes or encourages a warm up, and post workout stretch.

I know a few really good trainers if you know me locally and attend a local gym. If not, while working out or stretching out on the floor, watch your trainers and clients. The best way to find a good one is by watching them and asking around. Make your trainer earn your trust before putting your time and money into them. Ask yourself, "Are they getting me excited about reaching my goals or pressuring me to sign papers?", "What are the other members saying about them?", and "Are they attentive and present when working with their clients?"

Happy hunting and Safe Training Adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment