Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Pain trumps knowledge?!?



Ever notice when you get a tooth ache, suddenly you're a flosser? Well, I will always be the type to rat myself out, and learn from my mistakes. I have osteoarthritis in my knee. Between my wonderful genes, duck like flat feet, and very active lifestyle, my knees don't stand a chance. Or do they?

I have a great Physical therapist! He has filled my head with so much knowledge to keep my knees tip top for as long as possible. When I went to him, I had severe knee pain. After sending me to adjust my orthodics for proper alignment, teaching me about balance in flexibility and strength, and showing me stretching exercises that I was to do daily, the pain greatly decreased and was nearly gone. Ahhhh....now I can relax, right?

This summer has been great! Flip flops, extra activity, and ........ whoops, did I forget to stretch?! While I have taken up yoga, I have greatly decreased the amount of knee specific stretching I was suppose to do. Someone knock me upside the head with a brick! Did I forget the pain? Did I forget the fact that osteoarthritis is managed, not cured? Well, just in case I did....the pain is back to remind me! A summer with flip flops meant a summer out of alignment on my knees without wearing my orthodics... A summer with very little adductor stretching, means tight adductors once again.

Yes, it appears pain trumps knowledge. Suddenly, I'm motivated once again to watch my P's and Q's and do what I'm told. It seems that even I am not immune to being complacent with my health. All is well though...I may be slow, but once I got it, I got it!! Rest assured, I now understand that no pain means, "Great job Kelly! Keep it up!" Not, "Relax, you are now home free!"

So here I am. I publicly vow to continue my PT prescribed regimen even when the pain is gone. I will be sharing this with my PT (won't he be proud) in hopes that he passes this on to his clients who, like I, are more motivated by pain then knowledge. A health professional can only do so much. If we don't put the effort into our own health, it will go to the way side no matter how great our health professionals are!

Be well! Take care! Stay proactive!

2 comments:

  1. Should I be asking often about your stretching? Don't say yes or I really will do it! :) Often people that lose weight are just like you described. They want to lose 10 pounds. They lose 10 pounds and promptly quit doing what they were doing to lose the 10 pounds. They thengain it back with a few more for good measure. Living a healthy lifestyle is so much more about the journey than the finish line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be stretching all muscle groups after each workout. I try to spend at least 15 mins. post workout on stretching. Additional stretching and/or yoga should be incorporated as well. =]

    And, so true on weight loss! Or any self improvement. It's a constant effort, hu?

    ReplyDelete